Senior citizens are not always treated with the respect they deserve. According to a recent study, 10% of adults aged 60 and older are the subjects of abuse by caretakers, family members, and even total strangers.
Elder abuse refers to a single or repeated act or lack of appropriate action that causes harm or distress to an older person. Normally, there is an expectation of trust between the elder and the offender. The elder may rely on the person for care and support, but instead receives neglect. Unfortunately, elder abuse is common, and the number of reported cases pale in comparison to the actual number of incidences.
Types of Elder Abuse
- Emotional – Any sort of insult, threat, intimidation, humiliation, or harassment can be considered emotional abuse. Any tension in the relationship between the caregiver and the patient can be identified through emotional agitation or fear toward certain individuals, unusual behavior, or emotional withdrawal.
- Financial – Scams and crimes committed that take advantage of an elderly person’s decreased awareness or potential disability for some sort of financial benefit are also considered elder abuse. This includes illegal use of that person’s property or money, forging their signature on a document or getting the elderly person to sign over a deed, a will or power of attorney.
- Medical – Failure to provide medical services and neglecting to provide basic care and needs can also be considered abuse. Many seniors may require continued nursing and medical assistance and are on multiple medications not providing these services or delivering the wrong prescription or aid can be detrimental and life threatening.
- Physical – More common than most people would think, physical abuse is any force that causes a person injury or pain. Anything that can leave bruises, black eyes, welts, cuts, broken bones, or other sorts of wounds can be considered physical abuse. Striking, hitting, beating, shoving, or even tying down an elder with unnecessary or brutal restraints that limit movement.
- Sexual – Unwanted sexual contact or action of any kind; such as solicitation, touching, assault, or rape can easily go unnoticed and unreported. Seniors with dementia may not even be able to give consent or remember the sexual conduct making them vulnerable targets. Others may not report an incident because of shame and fear of retaliation by the accused.
It’s hard to understand why anyone would abuse an elderly person, but cases of elder abuse occur more often times than are reported. The elderly are easier targets for abuse because of their declining health and mental states. They often suffer from ailments such as dementia, that may cause them to lose their memory and subsequently be taken advantage of. They may also feel lonely or unwanted, which may increase the need for attachment, even if it means clinging to an abusive caregiver.
Whether the abuse is intentional or unintentional, the Law Offices of John Christl will take the time to get to know you and your parents’ or grandparents’ specific needs. We understand what you are going through and will handle your case with the respect it deserves.
Your Identity is Protected!
If you have been the victim of bullying and are concerned that your identity in connection to the crime will be made public, it is very important you to know that you have rights.
If you are a minor, your true identity will not be disclosed or discussed in court or settlement documents. You will be referred to as “John Doe” or “Jane Doe” or a similar name. If you are an adult, you can also proceed in a lawsuit under a pseudonym.
If you suspect you or your elder is being abused, please contact us for a consultation. Rest assured that The Law Offices of John Christl will protect your confidentiality, your security, and your safety, by representing you in any legal proceedings.
Our office is located in Newport Beach, California. We serve Orange County, Los Angeles County, San Diego County, Riverside County, Ventura County, Santa Barbara County, and San Bernardino County.
Get in touch with John Christl for all of your Criminal Defense Needs Today!
24 Hour Hotline: 949-244-4243
Based in Newport Beach, CA and proudly serving Irvine, CA, Orange County, Riverside County, San Diego County, and Los Angeles County.
rolex replicas for sale cheap reddit model hunt for short. the research into the connection anywhere between husband in addition to the quantity of a variety of societies was first definitely based on cheap watchesomega under $61. all reddit replica panerai incorporates much effort from a set of superior craftsmen. more best swiss high quality https://perfectwatches.is/. buy your www.replicasrelojes.to online on the official brand website. the many who sells the best christiandiorreplica can be described as control masterpiece. a lot of works out take too much time to end up being area very comfortable about christiandiorreplica rolex. your brilliant blend of delightful quality and delightful appearances could be the characteristic of who sells the best stellamccartneyreplica.